This is a great dish, with a slighty sweet hint in the spiced meat, but the warming baked feel that is similar to lasagne. Can't get enough! Although this has meat, the mince can be replaced with lentils and cooked for a while longer for a vegetarian version.
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
500 g mince meat
1 tin tomatoes
Vegetable or beef stock cube
1 tablespoon of mixed spice (cinammon, nutmeg and cloves will do)
2 teaspoons of cumin powder
2 large aubergines (eggplant) sliced to 1 cm width
Salt and pepper
750 mls milk
4 tablespoons white flour
1 cube of butter
Cheese for topping (grated mozarella or parmesan)
1. Fry the onions and garlic until softened
2. Add the mince meat and stir in spices and seasoning until the meat has turned a brown colour
3. Add the tinned tomotoes, stock cube and 250ml of water. Allow to simmer and let the flavours dissapate through the meat mixture.
4. In the meanwhile make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a heavy based pan, and heat the milk with it. Do not let the milk boil. Then add the flour teaspoon by teaspoon, whisking thouroughly so there are no lumps. Add seasoning as required. After about 5 minutes this should become a thick sauce. Dont let it become too thick so that it cannot fall of the spoon easily!
5. In a deep baking dish layer the meat, aubergines and white sauce until full. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Place the dish in a preheated oven for 45 minutes to one hour. The mixture should be bubbling slightly and crispy on top but do not let it burn!
This ia great dish to serve at a dinner party, a large family gathering or to keep and eat for left-overs the next day!